By His Grace and In His Word Ministries has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://jeniferjernigan.com/
and update your bookmarks.

7.09.2009

Summer Reading Fun...

I've recently been reading "The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns. I must tell you this is an extremly powerful, very convicting, eye opening book. Not really knowing what to expect as I flipped open Stearns book, I was literally brought to my knees as I read the words he penned on the first two pages. Today, I would like to share those words with you. As you read the following excerpt I would encourage you to take an introspective look into your heart as you ask yourself this question, "Is the inward transforming work of the Holy Spirit brought about by the death, burial, and ressurection of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, making itself known in the way I publically live my life?"

"What does God expect of us? That's what this book is about. It's a simple question, really. But is the answer so simple? What is the Christian faith about? Going to church every Sunday, saying grace before meals, and avoiding the most serious sin- or does God expect more?

I am a Christian- perhaps you are too. But what does that mean exactly? To even be Christians, we must first believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. That in itself is no small idea. If it is true, it changes everything, because if Christ is God, then all that He said and did is deeply significant to how we live our lives. So we believe. But God expects more.

And so the question, "What does God expect of me?" is a very profound one-not just for me, but for everyone who claims to follow Christ. Jesus had a lot to say about it. Yes, He did give us deep insights into the character of God and our relationship with Him as well, but He also spoke at length about God's expectations, our values, and how we are to live in the world. So how are we to live? What kind of relationship are we to have with a holy God? What is God asking for, really, from you and me? Much more than church attendance. More than prayer too. More than belief, and even more than self-denial. God asks us for everything. He requires a total life commitment from those who would be His followers. In fact, Christ calls us to be His partners in changing our world, just as He called the Twelve to change their world two thousand years ago."

Stearns goes on to say, "being a Christian, or follower of Christ, requires much more than just having a personal and transforming relationship with God; it also entails a public and transforming relationship with the world. If your personal faith in Christ has no positive outward expression, then your faith- and mine- has a hole in it. Embracing the gospel, or good news, proclaimed by Jesus is so much more than a private transaction between God and us. The gospel itself was born of God's vision of a changed people, challenging and transforming the prevailing values and practices of our world."

Is your personal faith in Christ having a positive outward impact on the world, or does it have a hole in it?

"Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works is dead."
James 2:17, NKJV

Photobucket


Excerpts taken from Richard Stearns book, "The Hole in our Gospel", pages 1 & 2. Thomas Nelson Publishing Company

5 Lovely Thoughts Shared:

HisFireFly said...

This was wonderful.

Now there's another book to add to my ever growing list. Stearns seems to be saying the same thing the Holy Spirit has been whispering in my ear these days.

Be blessed and be a blessing

Toknowhim said...

That is a lot to think about... I agree that the Christian life is definitely one of surrendering all to Christ...we can't hold part of ourself back...Jesus has to be Lord of all...I am learning that...

I have my meme up today if you get a chance to participate..

Blessings, Kim

heidi said...

A friend of mine is reading this right now and she has posted quotes here and there and I must add it gives one a powerful pause. You know to really think about you calling yourself a Christian and what your actions show. How our actions speak louder than our words. Thank you for sharing this...I think I have to go get me a copy now. =o)

PS...followed over from Amy Grant Bayliss's blog.

Susan said...

Hey Jennifer,

So nice to meet you. I also came over from Amy's site.

Your blog is beautiful.

I've been looking for a new book to start, and after reading what you wrote, I'm going to purchase it.

Thanks so much for sharing...

Have a blessed day♥

Michele Williams said...

Sounds like an interesting book. Thank you for the review. God bless you...